No matter what your political persuasion, The One-Hour Activist, by Christopher Kush, is your guide to influencing lawmakers, candidates, and reporters.
The One-Hour Activist reveals fifteen powerful, proven grassroots actions that persuade lawmakers and candidates to see things your way. Each action is designed to grab the attention of your representatives and build relationships that serve your issues over the long run. And each action takes less than an hour to complete, so you can make a difference without giving up your life!
This book is packed with insider advice from elected officials, professional organizers, lobbyists, and journalists who share state-of-the-art tips for getting your message across. Real-life examples of effective letters, e-mail, phone calls, public testimony, and news story pitches from concerned citizens just like you illustrate the actions.
Tactics you will learn:
- How to distinguish your letters and e-mail in the flood of correspondence elected officials receive.
- Why lawmakers crave your personal stories, local information, and opinions.
- Powerful ways to influence candidates so you represent more than a single vote on Election Day.
- Strategies for identifying, tracking, and analyzing current legislation.
- Ways to neutralize the efforts of your opposition.
- Political organizations than can coordinate your efforts with others who share your views.
- What local newspaper editors seek to publish in letters from readers like you.
- Includes five additional advanced grassroots actions such as meeting with elected officials, delivering public testimony, and pitching news stories.
- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass (April 23, 2004)
- Dimensions: 9.0 x 6.0 x 0.7 inches